New Commercial CD-i game released (2022)

Come back when you’re a little bit…

mmmMMMMMM

RICHER

1 Like

IT SURE IS BORING AROUND HERE

1 Like

Not to be a narc but is this legal? I always assumed there were some barricades to releasing software for sunset consoles. Will Big-Phillips come knockin’ on my door for selling a game on their console without their consent? I’ve always liked the idea of treating all platforms as viable choices for releasing something on. I understand spending time and money to release titles for consoles nobody has doesn’t make business sense, but I’m surprised how it virtually never happens.

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer and this isn’t legal advice. You can talk to a lawyer if you’re still a BG student for free if you paid the semester fee.

It depends on the technical facts, and the rules of your jurisdiction.

However if you don’t circumvent any “Digital Locks” (Because the DCMA is wonderful legislation with no flaws) and didn’t sign a contract with Phillips that includes any stipulations to the contrary (IE: To get a dev kit), I don’t see what they can do about it.

An interesting area lies in homebrew for early Nin and Seg systems. Some of their systems used trademark law instead of technical DRM to shutdown large scale commercial production of unlicensed games. Basically the console would do a checksum of a graphic on a cartridge (In the case of the original Game Boy), or look for the string “SEGA” in a specific memory location (In the case of the Genesis III). However Sega’s measure at least was defeated in court. It’s unclear to me if the modern DCMA would overturn this.

Of course, commercial homebrew happens for the Game Boy anyway. Here’s a 2022 release.

None of the above matters if you get permission of course. Nin’ was licencing physical production of new Wii U and original Wii games as recently as 2020.

2 Likes

The Sega Dreamcast occasionally gets new commercial homebrew as well.

Some call this year a “Golden Age” for commercial homebrew.

2 Likes