Connectiong to eduroam

Does anyone know how to connect to eduroam on a linux system? I tried following the chromebook guide, but it doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

Is your computer running ChromeOS or GNU/Linux? If you’re using GNU/Linux, it depends on whether you’re using NetworkManager or another network tool. If you’re running NM, try the installer from cat.eduroam.org. It’s just a python script that makes the required settings for the connection and slots it in system-connections/. I remember using this once in 2019, and the setup it provided was fine, not sure what keeps track of this script’s maintenance though. This should be something ITS has proper documentation for, but they don’t.

I am using gnu/linux, and I was trying nm. I’ll give the python scrypt a shot.

edit: the script worked flawlessly, thanks eonn!

1 Like

Have you tried to use eduroam at the library, by any chance? The configuration seems to work for me everywhere except there. It might have to do with new hardware being rolled out.

1 Like

If you ever switch to a more stripped down system it’s not terrible to use wpa_supplicant, i don’t have my config on hand but it’s relatively easy to set up.

1 Like

We should get together a document that delineates how to connect to the eduroam network on campus with different networking programs. There’s little documentation from the school and eduroam themselves.

1 Like

I could write an entry for wpa_supplicant. I use it to connect to eduroam under OpenBSD.

//edit: As mentioned above!

1 Like

I started a ‘snippet’ on Gitlab here. It has version control, but I’m not sure if another user is able to make a pull request like a regular repository. I’ll likely move it to a ‘real’ git repo.

1 Like